Fuzzy Bunnies, Pt. 3

Fuzzy Bunnies (Watercolour)

Fuzzy Bunnies (Watercolour)

I had a few minutes free this afternoon so I spent it trying to add some grass texture and getting to a ‘finished’ state on this picture…

The foreground hare has a bit more detail now and there’s more of an impression of grass and flowers. I still didn’t really work out a method of applying the grass, it’s totally trial and error and a bit of scumbling with a paper towel, but it sort of works.

I think it’s time to move on now, whether or not it is finished… this evening I spent a little while looking through some previous paintings with a friend and her 9 year old. I was surprised what a huge difference it makes to the quality of a painting when you haven’t seen it for six months! Maybe when I look back I’ll be able to see what needs finishing 🙂

A Backwards Glance

Backwards Glance (Graphite)

Backwards Glance (Graphite)

Tonight’s train ride home from Wollongong turned out to be my first session of sketching in about 10 days, and boy did I know it! One of the biggest problems I encountered was making this rabbit look realistic rather than a cute cartoon clichĂ© of a bunny… an odd problem to have, but every stroke I made of the head at the beginning just made it look like something from Disney! It improved greatly when I eventually got the proportions correct.

The next hardest thing was capturing the fact that he’s looking over one shoulder, not just standing sideways… I’m still not sure I quite pulled that one off but it’s quite attractive nonetheless. Once again it was a bumpy train ride home, but concentrating on sketching certainly makes the time fly 🙂 .

Day 170: Last Of The Kids Farm Sketches

Bunny (Graphite Stick)

Bunny (Pencil)

We have come away for a late celebration of Jim’s birthday so I’m battling again with posting from my tablet. With all this technology it should be so easy, but it’s not. I think I’ve been trying for an hour so far just to upload the pic & type a few words…. but I’m getting there 🙂

I think this is the last sketch I can pull out of the photos I took of the petting zoo that was around at Easter. A cute little grey bunny that was also sharing the hay bale with the kid goat I sketched last. I’d have put them both together except they were sitting back to back about a foot apart.

Unfortunately I picked up the wrong pencil on my way out and it’s a bit too hard, but it’s not too bad regardless. Just lacking a bit of tonal variation.

 

Day 134: Last of the Baby Rabbit

Baby Rabbit (Watercolour)

Baby Rabbit (Watercolour)

Tidying up loose ends today, I finally finished the baby rabbit I started a few weeks ago. The Jasmine bush went in OK, masking the flower buds was successful although the leaves and bush were quite tricky. I would have liked to get a few distinct leaf shapes, but didn’t really manage it. Overall, I think it more or less works…

I still like the ears the best, otherwise there’s far too much green and the bunny should be fluffier – in fact maybe the fur would benefit from a little more work as the rabbit looks too solid, rather than flesh and blood….. All things to take away and process for the next time I approach this type of challenge!

Day 126: Bromeliads and Rabbits, too much fiddling…

Baby Rabbit (Watercolour)

Baby Rabbit (Watercolour)

After some success yesterday with rendering the grass in my Rabbit painting I was still unsure about the brightness of the green – it seemed to be battling with the grey/blue of the rabbit. So my first task today was to try and tone it down a bit.

Here you can see I’ve added a wash mixed with Alizarin Crimson and Ultramarine which has helped a bit, but it’s also lost some of the detail that I was so pleased with. Unfortunately, I think this piece is becoming more of an exercise in damage control than a pleasure – I’m learning with every single brush stroke, but I’m not happy with the overall style that’s emerging.

Bromeliads (Watercolour)

Bromeliads (Watercolour)

While that was drying I moved back to the Bromeliads that I’d started last week and began to add some colour for the flowers. This is just a first wash and will need additional shading – it’s all looking a bit flat so far, and very stylised. It was quite interesting trying to get an impression of the tops of the flowers without painting every individual part. I think as a beginning it’s looking promising, and some deeper red in places will hopefully give them some depth.

Looking at both these pieces together it feels like I’ve been regressing somewhat, I seem to have reverted back to using very tight and fiddly brush work again as before I learnt anything about using watercolour. I wonder what happened to the loose and confident style that I was trying to develop…

It’s good to have this heads up, maybe having two demanding exercises in a row was just what I needed to make me realise. It’s been frustrating to face the issues that they’ve both thrown up, but even more so when the solutions I’ve applied have led me in directions that I didn’t want to go 🙂 It’s all a learning process!