Day two of the primroses study… and, after all my difficulties with negative painting, I’m reasonable happy with how this turned out. Enough to try it again at least!
Probably the major thing I learned from this was to focus only on one flower, or shadow, or leaf at a time. It’s hard to explain without showing you, but I think I was trying to ‘see’ it all in one go and paint too much each time I put the brush to the paper. The result was either too many sharp outlines or a mess of wet washes with no detail at all.
Better definition of flowers & foliage might improve the piece, but it’s only a study and at this point I’m happy to start afresh or move on to something new.