Hopefully I’ve learnt something from my brief escapades into gallery life last week and painting the flamenco scene. A little bit of ‘on the side’ experimentation made both the composition and the execution of the painting much more successful – hard to admit when I knew that was what I should be doing anyway… but sometimes we need a nudge in the right direction to remind ourselves of the blindingly obvious!
So before I went any further with this close up of our lemon tree I spent a little time this afternoon working out how I might attempt the lemons… I tried a variety of techniques including some dry brush work, using a sponge, sprinkling salt. Perhaps you can identify them amongst the samples on the left here. I think a combination of dry brush and sponge is what I’m going to try out in the painting.
Having got that worked out I began painting the leaves… then I got interrupted, and that’s as far as I got today 🙂 So, you’ll have to tune in tomorrow to see what happens next!