Day 83: Tibouchina Touch Ups

Tibouchina (Watercolour)

Tibouchina (Watercolour)

This morning I was chatting to my parents on Skype and lamenting the fact that I don’t seem able to lift paint out of my watercolours, no matter which paper I’m using, or which pigment, how wet or dry it is. Then today I tried to add another wash to this experiment… Disaster! All the paint fell off. Yes, really! The slightest touch of the brush moved all of yesterday’s paint as well. What a revelation!

It has meant that I’ve been able to lighten some areas that were too heavy, and lift out some highlights on the edges of petals, and it’s made painting everything else really tricky! Every movement is just as likely to remove paint as to add it. And I’m using the same paints as usual on a pad I’ve been using all along, it’s mind boggling! I suppose it was just time for the watercolours to teach me something new 🙂

Now I just need to work out how to add the pale (white) stamens, which I probably should have masked before I started, and I think I can call this one finished. Another study that I might try at a larger size some time, just because I love the purple and green together 🙂