After removing all the masking fluid from the giant wave painting yesterday I was faced with a decision… do I use the colours of the photo, or try to pick better ones? Hopefully it’s an indication I’m learning something, because this would never have entered my head a year ago.
As a result I spent an hour this afternoon painting little thumbnails, trying out different ideas… something else I would have skipped past previously and tried to work out in my imagination. I have to say though I don’t really like any of them. However, at least I’ve discounted some combinations and there are a lot more to try if I feel inclined! I’m not sure I particularly like the original either, so I have some thinking to do.
I also spent some time redrawing the boy in the picture – unfortunately one drawback of using masking is that the pencil marks are lost when the masking is peeled. I just hope I haven’t ruined the surface of the paper with all the messing about.