I was hoping to have completed this today but unfortunately there’s more to do than anticipated. I also discovered today that I should have approached this painting in a different order, and as a result I found myself applying masking fluid over existing washes – you can see that it’s actually lifted colour off the blossom and torn the paper a bit in places.
I was attempting to address the grassy bank area by masking it and adding a dark wash to the area. This has given an effect something like grasses which is better, but is now way too bright – next job is to push this back so it settles in more and also blend the edge of the rock into the shadow in places.
The lotus leaves and water lilies have also had some work today… the main one now has veins and the lily leaves have some shape and shadow beneath them. I’m wondering whether to darken the water all over, but hoping I won’t have to. It would be very fiddly to try at this stage.