More paint, more contrast… things are looking a little bit better. I realised that a lot more of the water has reflections or is in shadow than I first thought and adding some of this has made a big difference. I’ve also upped the colour and contrast of the foreground which helps too.
The brush work is very messy and I’m lucky I haven’t ended up with muddy colours yet with all the adding & taking away I’ve done today, but it’s coming along.
I think there’s still quite a lot that could improve it – there’s not enough variety of tone and the foreground will benefit from more detail but at least I got past the throwing it away stage 😛